Monday, January 18, 2010

The fun starts in LA!

Soo, I've been here for over a week already! I arrived Friday, Jan. 8. My flight to Newark from Ithaca was canceled, so my day was turned upside down. I ended up flying from Ithaca to Laguardia, Laguardia to Dallas, and Dallas to LA. It was a very long day! It didn't help that I hadn't slept that night because I was too excited, and was packing until 4am when we had to drive to the airport anyway. We had scheduled a van to take a bunch of Ithaca kids from LAX to our apartments, but I missed it by a few hours. I had to take a taxi. The ride was so long that I fell asleep! It was a long way, in rush hour traffic. The total was around $90!!!! It wasn't the best start to my time in LA.

Thus far, I've been shopping for groceries and home items, rode the bus to get my nails done, attended orientation, and lounged around with my roommates A LOT. It has been very relaxing, but I am ready to be busy again! The weather was great, sunny and 70's, but now it's raining, and it's supposed to keep raining for a week straight! I've heard flood and mudslide warnings on the news.

Tomorrow the chaos begins. From 10am-3pm I will have my first day working/training at University Link Magazine. My editor wrote me an e-mail explaining that I will be writing a piece on fashion. Can you say DREAM JOB? I am excited and nervous! I will be doing my intern duties, as well as writing freelance pieces that I will get paid for! Fans of my work will only be able to read it if they subscribe to the magazine, because they don't put that much content on their web site. Right after I get out of work, I have to jet over to an interview at another company, dots! tv. They called me after I had already accepted the position at ULM, so I told them I'd only be able to come in one day a week. They said it was fine, so we scheduled an interview. I don't know much about the company, but I requested to work in the beauty/fashion section. If I end up taking both internships and the workload is too much, I will just have to quit one. But I think both jobs sound pretty interesting!! P.S.- I have to do all this traveling by bus! It's going to be pretty hectic.

At the end of my busy day tomorrow, I will be going to my first class! I have Government and Media from 7pm-10pm. I should probably just inject coffee into my veins tomorrow. Good thing I've gotten a lot of rest this past week! I live at the Oakwood Apartments, and class is about a 15 minute walk down the street. It's in a big building, but only one floor is for Ithaca College. It has a few classrooms, a computer lab, a lounge, a big library of movies on DVD, and our professors' offices. Our floor is called The Pendleton Center. Here's a photo of the building.


In other news, I was grocery shopping today and saw a celebrity! My first sighting in LA! "Will" from the tv show Will and Grace walked by me with his son. The actor's real name is Eric McCormack, and he was with his young son, Finnegan. I couldn't even believe it was him! I heard him call his son's name, so I'm positive it was him. From doing a little internet research, I found out he lives in Toluca Hills, which is right where I am. Very cool!


That's all for now, I will definitely have more to write about after tomorrow. I have taken a few pictures, but haven't been able to upload them yet. They are coming soon, though!

Love to the east coast,
Laura

No comments: