
During another night talking politics, my dad introduced me to the fact that the Democratic Party has an ex-member of the Ku Klux Klan in it!
Because the Democratic party is often portrayed as the party of "racial tolerance and understanding", this really shocked me.
Not knowing much about who's who in politics, I googled his name- Sen. Robert Byrd, of West Virginia. I found out he is 91 years old!
I came up with a lot of sites. I chose an article published in 2001 by Capitalism Magazine. I have never heard of the publication, and do not know if it is biased or not.
The article definitely seemed to have a bias against Democrats, but it was still an interesting read. I would consider going to other sites with reputations of fairness to make sure and get the whole story.

1 comment:
Interesting post, Laura. You should know that Byrd now is old enough to deeply regret the Klan membership of his youth. You should also check out Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope." Obama talks about the first time he met Byrd. Byrd expressed regret for his past. I can't remember Obama's response, but it was one of healing. Basically, that it is better to focus on working for a better future than dwelling on the past.
Post a Comment